In the early 1900's Dr's. Porter & Morgan founded a small hospital in the Biehl residence on Third and Blunt. Their success made a public demand for a larger, better and more complete institution.
The Clay Center Hospital
In 1902, the Clay Center Hospital was located at 1508 6th Street and accommodated 20 patient beds. These first two hospitals were doctor operated facilities, privately owned and located in private residences.
Clay Center Municipal Hospital
The first publicly owned hospital in Clay Center was built in 1925 at 2121 Seventh Street by the City of Clay Center called Clay Center Municipal. The building presently houses the Clay County Museum.
Clay County Medical Center
In 1954, The Clay Center Municipal Hospital becomes a county hospital and is renamed Clay County Hospital. Later in 1962, Clay County Hospital opens at 617 Liberty with new features: air conditioning, piped in music, four electrically operated beds, 7 beds, non-conductive flooring and modern kitchen equipment. In 1973 a tornado seriously damaged the east part and it was promptly repaired. In 1987 the building was enlarged and completely redecorated. In 1993 a 12,000 foot addition was added to house up to 8 physicians and some added space for the hospital. In 1998 four additions were made to the facility, they are: a Wellness/Fitness Center, an Outpatient Clinic, a Nurses Center and expansion of the kitchen storage area.
Clay County Medical Center is a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital with: 3 beds in ICU; 3 beds in Obstetrical and 19 beds for Inpatient Acute care/Swing bed (or skilled nursing care) status patients. The hospital is Medicare certified to operate Swingbed and Hospice Inpatient/Respite beds. Clay County Medical Center also sponsors a Medicare Licensed Hospice program known as Meadowlark Hospice.